Sunday, August 5, 2012

Week 9 - CYBR 650

This week has been pretty exciting. I ended up in the ER and the ER doctor diagnosed me with "DEFCON" back! LOL After some percocet and rest, I can finally stand up. What I was told, however is that as a geek, it is easy to get absorbed with our machines. WALK periodically because sitting for a long period of time puts stress on the lumbar region on your back. While it may not seem like you have done anything to injure your back, not walking around will actually injure it. Speaking of which, I better get up and walk really quick!

*******

This week I have to write about what I experienced in doing my Action Plan. Playing with a new template, I was limited in what data I could add. I also forget to consider things such as controls and threat risk condition (high, medium, low). This is frustrating because it is not something that I do on a day-to-day basis. That and my brain is still in overload from all the information I got at DEFCON.

This is going to be a short blog due to my drugged up status, but I wanted to let everyone know the Cybersecurity Act of 2012 did NOT pass! However it only failed in a 52-46 vote.

This concerns me. In order for the Act to pass, it needed 60 votes. 8 more votes and it would have succeeded. Unlike the PIPA and SOPA, the Cybersecurity Act of 2012 was not as widely protested by the Internet community. It was, in essence, PIPA 2.0 and yet there was no uproar protesting this Act like the other two.

With only 8 votes away, we can be sure Congress will attempt to pass something similar soon. If the Internet community does not speak up, it will not be hard to make up those 8 votes and start passing legislation that will begin inhibiting our freedom of speech as well as our privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment