Thursday, July 12, 2012

Week 6 CYBR 650

I just checked the assignments and there is nothing to really focus on, except that "Coach" says I'm all over the place! LOL Which, if he was to meet me IRL (in real life), he would think I was a gerbil on cocaine. The thing I love about blogs is that I write what is on my mind and so, when you see me jump all over the place, that's how my mind works. Of course, it could be the ADHD... Ok..so, now I must FOCUS...

In continuation of the story regarding the paranoid person, I have learned a lot about personal security myself. I am learning how to use my own security software and in-turn, I go over and do it to theirs. I was in process of securing their cell phones when I was asked a question, "I did a factory reset on my phone and it wiped out the contacts, so why are all my contacts back and who are these people I do not know on my phone?"

This got me thinking. In order to purchase apps an Android phones, you must have a gmail account. Well, if you use that account for anything other than apps, gmail will save all the people you have contact with so if you need to write a new e-mail to them, the auto-fill pops up and makes it easy for you to write the person. It also occurred to me that when a contact is added, because gmail is synced to the cell phone, those contacts would be added to the phone.

I asked them some questions:

"Do you have a Facebook account?"
"Yes."
"Do you play the apps on those accounts?"
"Yes."
"Do the app games require you to add people to your friends list to advance?"
"Yes."
"Do you know the people you add?"
"Not all the time."
"Is Facebook updated through your phone?"
"Yes."

I realized the other source of their unknown contacts in their contact list on their phone. When you are connected to Facebook and it is connected to your phone, any friends you add will also be automatically sent to your phone.


Since Facebook is one of the least secure places on the web, this creates a security risk for anyone who applies the Facebook app to their cell phones. Even if your information is set to private, but only friends can see it, if you accept a stranger, this gives them access to your cell phone number, where you live, e-mail addresses, etc and gives them that opportunity to try and hack your accounts.

I advised them that as convenient as it is to view friends' updates on your cell phone, to not use the Facebook app on her phone. I also told them to change their gmail account to one they will not be using for e-mails. Meanwhile, their phone is rejecting the security software that I want to put on it because it is not an app. grrr.

It is truly amazing that something so simple can be so devious if care is not taken.

I used to think of Cybersecurity as a huge issue that was corporate/government level. This taught me that it is also in the home. And since the home can easily go to work, I came to realize that the risks spread from the home, to work, to school, etc where ever there is mobile technology and a fun app.

OK, well I'm off to get ready to go to Kids Kamp with my church. A cabin full of giggling girls, hairspray, curling irons, nail polish, and chocolate! They can have the hairspray, curling irons, and nail polish, but I can never pass up good chocolate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment